A day after India suffered huge embarrassment, the Central Bureau of Investigation has removed from its list of red corner notice fugitives the name of Wazhul Kamar Khan, who figured in the '50 most wanted' list given to Pakistan but was found staying in Thane.
Accepting it as a "mistake" and taking "responsibility", Home Minister P Chidambaram on Wednesday said the inclusion of terror accused Wazhul Kamar Khan in the list of most wanted fugitives given to Pakistan was a "genuine error" by the Mumbai police and "oversight" by the Intelligence Bureau.
The Maharashtra Anti Terrorism Squad said on Tuesday that Rs 4 lakh was deposited in the account of Mulund explosion accused Wazhul Kamar Khan, a few months before the blasts in the metropolis during 2002-2003.
Wazhul Kamar Khan, whose name figures in the '50 most wanted' fugitives list, has been staying in Thane district near Mumbai, police sources said on Tuesday. Khan, who was arrested last year for his alleged role in the 2003 Mulund train blasts in Mumbai, has been living in Thane's Waghle Estate with his mother, wife and children after he was let out on bail.Khan was also involved in the 2003 Vile Parle and Ghatkopar blasts besides the 2002 Mumbai Central blasts.
The Bharatiya Janata Party on Wednesday slammed Home minister P Chidambaram, dismissing his assertion that inclusion of terror accused Wazhul Kamar Khan in the list of most wanted fugitives given to Pakistan was a "mistake" and not a monumental one.
In the backdrop of the revelation that Wazhul Kamar Khan, whose name figures in the '50 most wanted' fugitives' list submitted to Pakistan, has been staying in neighbouring Thane district, the Maharashtra Bharatiya Janata Party on Tuesday said that Home Minister R R Patil should clear air on the issue.
Facing embarrassment, the government has ordered an inquiry to find out how the name of an accused in the 2003 Mulund train blasts, living in a Mumbai suburb, has figured in India's most wanted list of fugitives handed over to Pakistan.